Monday, September 21, 2009

Right on Target!

My district requires that all teachers post a Target Board in their classrooms. These Boards are to reinforce the Benchmark standards; Advanced (I stay physically fit by daily exercise and healthy nutrition), Proficient (I exercise daily), Basic (I participate every now and then, but seldom get my heart rate up) and Below Basic (I never participate or get my heart rate up). The goal is for students to talk the language of the Benchmark and EOC exams. As I don't have a classroom, I put my target board in the Wellness Center where PE classes meet. If I have to say so--or write so--myself, I think it is right on target.

One of my goals is to teach my students to live physically fit lives. I teach nutrition as well as exercise. I taught at Star City a couple of years ago. At that time, I had PE classes at the high school. For the first time at the high school, there was a PE facility. An accomplishment that I am very proud of is the Wellness Center. I worked with the Superintendent that year to establish a fitness center. Using Pepsi money, the district bought both cardiovascular and strength equipment and and placed the machines in the what is now referred to as the fitness center. Not only is it used by the high school PE classes and athletics, but also teachers and community workout after school hours. This year, I asked the Superintendent to purchase a Cybex Cable Cross Over Machine. She wrote this purchase into her Stimulus budget and received approval.

1 comment:

  1. I like the target board idea!! Might have to steal that one :)

    ReplyDelete